Monday, October 13, 2008

My Thoughts

One of the biggest issues with this new intense type of technology is the issue of individual privacy (towards the end of the article). People might believe that the MALINTENT system is another way for the government to spy on its citizens-but it is not. The MALINTENT machine scans a person and results are recorded in the security management office and then as the scanned person leaves the security screening area the records are discharged.  The Government does not keep a watch on the civilian passing through the area.  If they successfully get through MALINTENT with no signs of bad intensions or possible threats to other civilian passengers, then they are free to travel as they please without government keeping record of them being scanned.  This system is very accurate, and before it is legally launched it will be nearly perfect. Personally I feel like this new equipment is what is best for the advancement of safety at travel stations and sporting events.  A person, playing the "individual privacy from the government" card, refuses to be scanned by these security upgrades is potentially jeopardizing lives of hundreds of travelers.  If they know they are innocent then why won't they walk through the machine, get scanned, pass the test, and carry on with their lives? 

4 comments:

Energy4tomorrow said...

I am all for airport security and do not feel the MALINTENT system in any way crosses the line in terms of MY individual privacy. I know that each and every time I fly, I have nothing to hide, so even if I were selected for a secondary check, I am sure I would be cleared of all suspicion. I do appreciate that records are purged - it would be unfortunate to have that follow you around. I do feel that issues of personal privacy are important and that there have been instances where lines have been crossed in the name of "protection", but I don't think this is one of them. I will also admit that I am probably biased on this issue, as I am very close to several people who travel regularly for business, and I take airport security very seriously,

D.R. said...

I agree that it is a little sketchy to oppose the new security systems being developed. If you have nothing to hide then is it really that big of a deal? Airport security doesn't seem like a big invasion of privacy to me... seeing as how they are simply making sure you don't have anything that your not supposed to. If you are in the clear than the process isn't much at all...not matter how elaborate it may be. I mean, I'm not going to lie...going through airport security is a pain most of the time...but it provides our country with safe traveling and is totally worth it.

ennaeiram said...

In my opinion, advancements in airport security does nothing but increase each Americans safety. It may seem as if the new technology is imposing on one's personal privacy, but if the information is being deleted from the system then there should be no arguments against these new security precautions. It seem logical to me that if someone has nothing to hide, then they should have no problem going through all the security measures. I am curious however as to how the computer system is able to detect how nervous and anxious a person is. What if someone is extremely nervous about getting on a plane for the first time? Will this be interpreted in the same way as someone who is nervous because they are considering hurting people on the plane?

gigi said...

I think that this new technology would increase safety in the United States significantly. Airport securtiy has gotten way out of hand with limitations to items that can be on someone's person. A system like this would be great to cut down on time spent in security, but also having thorough checks on each individual intending to travel. It is good to know that records are not kept and watched by the government as well. Sometimes I am skeptical to see how much personal information our national government on each citizen. I recently just watched the movie, Eagle Eye, with Shia LeBouf and the plot behind it is quite frightening. Obviously, the movie is fiction, but at the same time I wonder if our national government has a huge system that keeps track of what Americans are doing. It's freaky to think about.