Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Questions for the Readers

So I have a couple questions that I would like some of you to please respond to for me.  Do you personally think that these types of security systems should be funded right now the way our economy is heading or do you think we should wait?  Do you think that in a time of economic struggle, like what we have currently, that terrorists will be more likely to cause trouble on Americans?  To answer these questions, personally, I would have the government invest in these systems to get safety up and running a soon as possible. In a time of economic recession, the government will have bigger things on their minds than advanced security systems, and terrorists may notice this and take advantage of that.  I believe that the safety of the citizens should be the number one priority.  But this is up to you to decide-so please respond!

2 comments:

laurel said...

I think that is a really interesting question and I am having a hard time answering it. My instinct is that we have other programs and issues that should come first. In the back of my mind I always start to think about how we have caused the animosity that the world feels towards us and we were much safer before World War I when we really began to gain power in the world even though we didn't have the money, power, and military that we do now. We need to regain our respect and good-opinion with many countries around the world. But realistically I know this isn't a feasible option to spend money on. It will take a lot of different things and a lot of time and so we need protection while we are in this situation now. I don't think I would make this my number one priority but I think national defense issues, not particularly all those high-tech stuff but some, should have money put towards them. Our country is more vulnerable now that we are in a financial crisis.

Margaret said...

I think the government should start funding now. This question can be paraphrased as "do you think econoy crisis is more important than national security?" And my answer is no. Economic crisis is a big issue, so is national security. These are two different issues and it is hard to say if one outweighs the other. There are new issues coming out every day. If the government wait till tomorrow, it's likely that the new issue will keep government waiting again. However, terrorists won't wait.